Greening Coal Power with CO2-eating Microalgae as a Biofuel Feedstock

See on Scoop.itGreen Energy Technologies & Development

Successful microalgae-to-biodiesel conversion has been the goal of some renewable energy researchers for more than two decades.

Duane Tilden‘s insight:

>To that end, Algae.Tec has signed a deal with Macquarie Generation, Australia’s largest electricity generator, to put an “algae carbon capture and biofuels” production facility next to a coal-fired power station in Australia’s Hunter Valley. Macquarie Generation, which operates the Sydney-area 2640 MW Bayswater Power Station, will feed waste CO2 into an enclosed algae growth system. […]

Projections are for the first year of production to hit 100,000 tons of algae biomass; half of which would be converted to an estimated 60 million liters of biodiesel. One sea-land container would generate 250 tons of biomass per annum, said the company, which would be harvested on a continuous basis. […]

Stroud projects that some 75 percent of his company’s income will come from biodiesel. The remaining 25 percent of Algae.Tec’s income will hinge on the sale of the microalgae’s leftover biomass for animal feed.<

See on www.renewableenergyworld.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s